This life of mine
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
  I'd be a pigeon
Pigeons on my bird table
Pigeons on my bird table,
originally uploaded by essexjan.
I'm not much of a gardener, in fact my back yard is laid almost entirely with concrete slabs (through which weeds appear with depressing regularity).

But one thing I really love is my bird table. I bought it a few years ago and it's given me so much pleasure. I have it set up so I can see it from either my desk or from the sofa, and every morning I put out a dish of food - a combination of robin mix from Pets at Home, black sunflower seeds, dried insects and raisins. Sometimes the odd mushy piece of fruit too. I hang fat balls in a feeder that's fixed to the side.

I'm very lucky, living by the forest. I get lots of birds visiting - starlings, wood pigeons, collared doves, robins, blue tits, great tits, coal tits (lots of tits!), sparrows, jays, magpies, jackdaws, and even a pheasant once - and this lovely pair of pigeons, who've been coming around for a few months.

I actually like pigeons. I think if I were a bird I'd be a pigeon. I have short, stubby little legs, a big butt and I can't sing. At first sight, you might think I'm a little dull, but, like the pigeons beautiful iridescent throat plumage, put me in the light, and I'll shine. Some days I can even fly.
 
Comments:
Nice piece, Jan. I've been noticing the birds in the neighborhood lately too. We have a lot of doves, blue jays and robins. They all make the world more colorful. But... we also have grackles which are hideous, ugly and overbearing. They gather on the roofs and powerlines like a scene in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". The various communities chase them away and they just settle in the next town until they get chased away there too. Yuck.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Rantings of a sober madwoman

My Photo
Name:
Location: Essex, England, United Kingdom
Archives
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / February 2007 / February 2008 / May 2008 / August 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / March 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / October 2009 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]